Aldro was founded in 1898 and moved to Shackleford from Eastbourne in 1940. We are fortunate to occupy a beautiful setting in the Surrey countryside, and to enjoy the use of some outstanding facilities for a prep school. The ethos of the school is centred on our Christian foundation and priority is given to the highest standards of pastoral care and to the education of the “whole child” as an individual. We encourage our boys to become caring, thoughtful and confident members of the school community and to be fully prepared to move on and thrive at their senior schools. Aldro seeks to be an inclusive school, with a genuine ‘family-feel’ and offering opportunities for all boys to discover their talents and gifts, alongside striving for excellence. Boarding is a great strength of Aldro, contributing to the busy and vibrant atmosphere here and teaching the boys the vital skills of independence and responsibility which stand them in good stead for their future schools.
Aldro will provide an all-round education of the highest quality for boys. With the arrival of the Aldro Baccalaureate, we will ensure that academic rigour remains at the centre of all we do, with an added emphasis on soft skills. We will maintain, and develop even further the many opportunities we offer outside the classroom. We will identify and encourage gifts and talents in every boy, and allow boys to be free to be themselves: free to be different, and free to make a difference.
To help achieve our vision for Aldro, we will:
- Strive for academic excellence; seek to develop a love of learning for boys within a broad and contemporary curriculum that offers a wide range of opportunities for extra-curricular activities.
- Develop, coach, mentor, and train a committed and highly motivated staff team.
- Further refine our outstanding pastoral structure that tracks, monitors and intervenes for all boys and staff who need early support as part of a caring & compassionate Christian community looking after the individual.
- Help boys to achieve excellent senior school outcomes, with training, advice, preparation and steering to support boys achieving places at the best Public schools.
- Develop Aldro further as a boys’ paradise, discovering boys’ gifts in academics, sport, music, drama or the arts and nurturing those gifts.
- Further improve and maintain the Aldro estate to equip it with the very best facilities, infrastructure and ICT.
- Establish long-term financial stability by delivering sensible financial management, marketing to attract and recruit the best pupils and sustainable numbers.