The Friends of Aldro
The Friends of Aldro Association (FOAA)
Aldro has a thriving parents’ association, the Friends of Aldro Association (FOAA) which organises social and charitable events for parents, staff and pupils at the school. It is a particularly great way to help welcome new parents to the school.
In a typical year the FOAA hosts a wide range of social events some of which are fundraising for charity or the school. A typical annual programme would be as follows:
- Welcome Drinks party in September for all parents
- Macmillan Coffee Morning
- Fireworks display with drinks and BBQ for boys and their families
- Shopping trip to London
- Winter Fair with gift staffs for adults and organised games and stalls for the boys
- Christmas shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child
- Dog Walk
- Quiz Night with supper
- Mufti day with a theme
- Dog Walk
- Regatta fete - afternoon tea for families and games for the boys
- Tennis Morning and Lunch
- Summer Ball - approximately every three years
- Dog Walk
Recent projects funded by the FOAA include the purchase of new cassocks for the choir, a Bell Tent used for outdoor learning, Roman Armour, K-nex set for DT, 4 x lego programming sets and a football table for the CMM.
Aldro and the FOAA raised the following money for charity last year:
- £1539.55 for Macmillan Cancer - Coffee Morning
- 106 boxes for Operation Christmas Child
- £470 for Starfish Malawi from the Harvest Festival
- £23,968.90 for Dusty Yak - the Aldro School charity
- £202 in a rugby shirt day in aid of Wooden Spoon charity.
The FOAA committee meets at least twice a term and is made up of:
- Chairpersons – Sarah Barnes, Georgie Templeton-Ward and Victoria Watts
- Secretary - Georgina Farley
- Treasurer – Sarah Barnes
- Form Representatives from each form in the School
- Nicky Carlier, Headmaster's wife
- Victoria Smith, Bursar
- Sheridan Charles, Director of Admissions & Marketing
There are no formal elections for any of the committee positions. The posts of Chairperson, Secretary and Treasurer are held for a minimum 2 years and maximum of 3 years. The normal term of office for a Form Representative is one academic year (September to July).
In addition there is a Winter Fair Committee chaired by a parent, Georgie Templeton-Ward which organises the Winter Fair - both the stalls for adults and the games for the boys.
If you are interested in getting involved with the FOAA please contact the Chairmen via Aldro’s school office.
Second Hand Uniform Shop (SHUS)
The FOAA also encompasses the Second Hand Uniform Shop (SHUS) which is run by and for parents. The shop is open on the first day back each term and half term and on the first Thursday of the month from 8.15 to 9.00am.
School Uniform Shop
In addition the school also runs a School Uniform Shop which is open every Tuesday 8.00am - 9.00am and Saturday 8.15am - 9.15am (during term time and not open during weekend leave).